Serve on Sundays
Are you interested in serving at New City? We need volunteers to serve on Sundays to welcome the hundreds who come through our doors each week. You can serve on the Sunday Operations team, the Usher team, the Connections team, in our Children’s Ministry and in a variety of other ways. Learn more below about ways you can serve on Sundays at New City.
- Usher Team: Our teams of ushers are dedicated to creating an atmosphere that is welcoming, comfortable and free of distractions to support the worship services. The ushers are responsible for meeting and greeting worshipers, providing directions and timely information, helping attendees find seating, as well as distributing bulletins and collecting the offering. Must be capable of balancing assertiveness with graciousness.
- Connections Team: Help people connect. Do you know your way around New City and its many ministries? Would you enjoy helping visitors and guests get connected at New City? This will also involve serving at the Welcome table to facilitate the connection between visitors and the church after each worship service by providing more information regarding New City, its vision, ministries, events and opportunities to get into community. If this describes you, consider serving with our Connections teams (before and after the service).
- Communion Team: The Communion team has the privileged responsibility to prepare the elements of the Lord’s Supper and to make sure that the Lord’s table is ready for his people to feast with him. Communion is served weekly.
- Sunday Operations Team: Have you ever wondered what happens “behind the scenes” on Sunday morning? Then consider volunteering for the Sunday Operations team! As part of Sunday Operations, you’ll volunteer before and after the services on Sunday helping to prepare the school for worship. The Sunday Operations team sets up and takes down signage, the nursery and kids’ rooms, refreshments and more! Volunteers serve once a month, before and after the service.
- Book Table Team: The Book Table volunteers encourage the spiritual growth of the congregation by recommending literature we offer for sale. This is ideal for avid readers who are enthusiastic about Christian authors and literature and are comfortable interacting with others one-on-one. Other responsibilities include setup and tear down, managing money, and keeping track of inventory. This is a once-per-month commitment.
- Audio/Visual Team If you are looking for a way to serve that is behind the scenes yet vitally important to the operations of each Sunday service, the A/V Team may be for you. Our goal on the A/V Team is to facilitate an excellent, distraction-free service for our congregation every Sunday, which includes running the slides, recording and publishing the sermons, and some minimal set-up before each service. No technological savviness required! We are currently on a once-a-month rotation.
Requirements to serve
While you prayerfully consider connecting to New City’s community of volunteers, please consider the following commitments:
- We ask that you serve once every 4-6 weeks for at least one year. After a year of serving on a particular ministry team, we ask that you prayerfully consider whether or not the Lord is leading you to continue for another year.
- Go through the training for our volunteer system (Elvanto).
- If you cannot attend the Sunday you are scheduled to serve, find your own replacement using our Elvanto system.
- Attend the various training sessions for your particular ministry team. You will receive dates and reminders from the ministry team leader.
Note: As a volunteer on one of our Ministry Teams you are considered to be a part of leadership. We expect you keep in mind that you are representing New City as you serve in your role.
Thank you for your interest in helping to serve the families of New City. We seek to provide the best care for our children through a solid team of volunteers.
From nursery to preschool to fourth grade, we need volunteers to help with our Children’s Ministry. Opportunities to serve include greeting, teaching or assisting in Nursery, Preschool or Elementary classes, greeting and registering children and room setup. If you have a heart for families and children, come serve with us!
Why volunteer with the Children’s Ministry?
Invest in: Children are the next generation of influencers for Christ in Royal Oak, throughout the Detroit region and around the world.
Being called: God has given each of us talents to share with others. This is a great place to share your gifts.
Become equipped: Whether you come with training or receive training as you serve with us, your skills and experience will affect families of New City each week.
You are needed: The number of children who attend New City continues to multiply. We need you!
Build community: Your investment in the lives of families and fellow volunteers at New City allows for deeper community. Parents have expressed how the community of Children’s Ministry volunteers has been so meaningful and encouraging.
- If you are interested in volunteering, fill out the form on our Connect page, choosing Children’s Ministry from the recipient line.
- Please fill out the application and send it to Nathan Moretto, our Pastor of student and family ministries. We will contact you to talk about next steps.
- You are required to complete an application and provide references before joining a volunteer team.
- Once we receive your application, we will arrange an interview, contact your references and complete your background check.
- Once approved, you will be placed on a volunteer team.
- You will need to attend one of our Volunteer Orientations
Expectations we have for our volunteers
- Completion of the application process as explained above.
- Teams: Once you join the Children’s Ministry, you are placed on a team. You serve with your team every 4-6 weeks in the same classroom. This is to build deeper community with your teammates and with the children.
Expectations for our volunteers
- Completion of the application process as explained above.
- Teams: Once you join the Children’s Ministry, you are placed on a team. You serve with your team every month in the same classroom. This is to build deeper community with your teammates and with the children.
- Nursery parents are asked to volunteer a minimum of three times a year. We count on you. Promptness and appropriate preparation are required.
- We count on you. Promptness and appropriate preparation are required.
Thank you so much for your interest in volunteering for the Youth Ministry at New City! We are in need of fun, mature, and passionate volunteer leaders who share in our vision: to see middle and high school students exploring Christianity deeply, taking ownership of their faith in Jesus, thriving in a loving community, and participating in God’s mission in and through the church for Detroit, Royal Oak and beyond.
Our Friday Night Youth Group meets from 6:00pm to 8 p.m. at THE ROYAL OAK MIDDLE SCHOOL. We also do many other fun events throughout the year like retreats, service projects, and much more.
To find out more information on how to get involved with our youth community please contact our Pastor of Student Ministries, Matt Luchenbill